Vermicelli(Semia) roasted or plain - 2 cups
Onions - 1, medium sized, chopped
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Black gram (Urad Dal / Uzhunthu) - 1 tablespoon
Split chickpeas (Kadalai paruppu/Channa dal) - 1/2 tablespoon
Ginger paste - 1/2 tablespoon
Green chillis - 2 cut into pieces
Curry leaves - few
Salt to taste
Warm water - 1 cup
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Heat a pan and add oil.
Add mustard seeds, once it splitters, add channa dal, urad dal and fry until they turn pale brown.
Add ginger paste, green chillies, curry leaves and fry for 1 minute. Then add onions and fry until they turn golden brown.
Then add vermicelli, salt to taste and fry for 5 minutes. Add warm water and reduce the flame.
Mix it slowly and cook it closed with a lid at the low flame until vermicelli is cooked and water is absorbed completely.
Serve hot with chutney.
1. Use roasted vermicelli, upma would be tasty. If you are using plain vermicelli, toss them in 1/2 tablespoon of ghee until they become pale brown and use it.
2. To Singapore Ladies: Buy Pakistani vermicelli from Mustafa, upma is very tasty. It is very thinner in size compared to Indian vermicelli. Just sprinkle some water while cooking it. Try and let me know;)
Cooking time - 20 minutes
Serves 2 persons.
Rekha tagged me..... so my answers below
- What was I doing ten years ago
I was working in Chennai @ Vetri Software
- what are five things on my to do list for to day
Blogging and bugging others;)
Prayers and sleeping .... he he
- places I have lived at
Chennai, Delhi, Pondicherry, Hyderabad, presently @ Singapore
- jobs I have had
Data Conversion Technician
Customer Support Manager
Technical Recruitment Manager
and at present HomeMaker;)
- what are five snacks I enjoy
Dont eat much snacks, if given a chance, I would like to eat crunchy bites from KFC;)
- what things would I do if I were a bilianaire
Will do lot of things, first, I will go on a tour to US, then start an orphanage and serve there till my life.
Rekha .... are you happy now.....;)
let me see whom I can pull........ hmmmm..... lot of names are there......
okay.............. ppppppppppppriti & RRRRRRRRRRRRRRamya..... carry on the tag;)