Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Saturday, July 5, 2008

Vermicelli(Semia) Upma & A Tag


Vermicelli is a kind of pasta, very thinner than spagetti. It is largely consumed in southern India. Next to Idli & Dosa, Upma is taken for breakfast frequently.



Ingredients:
Vermicelli(Semia) roasted or plain - 2 cups
Onions - 1, medium sized, chopped
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Black gram (Urad Dal / Uzhunthu) - 1 tablespoon
Split chickpeas (Kadalai paruppu/Channa dal) - 1/2 tablespoon
Ginger paste - 1/2 tablespoon
Green chillis - 2 cut into pieces
Curry leaves - few
Salt to taste
Warm water - 1 cup
Oil - 2 tablespoons

Method:
Heat a pan and add oil.

Add mustard seeds, once it splitters, add channa dal, urad dal and fry until they turn pale brown.
Add ginger paste, green chillies, curry leaves and fry for 1 minute. Then add onions and fry until they turn golden brown.

Then add vermicelli, salt to taste and fry for 5 minutes. Add warm water and reduce the flame.

Mix it slowly and cook it closed with a lid at the low flame until vermicelli is cooked and water is absorbed completely.

Serve hot with chutney.

Note:
1. Use roasted vermicelli, upma would be tasty. If you are using plain vermicelli, toss them in 1/2 tablespoon of ghee until they become pale brown and use it.
2. To Singapore Ladies: Buy Pakistani vermicelli from Mustafa, upma is very tasty. It is very thinner in size compared to Indian vermicelli. Just sprinkle some water while cooking it. Try and let me know;)

Cooking time - 20 minutes
Serves 2 persons.


=======================

Rekha tagged me..... so my answers below

- What was I doing ten years ago
I was working in Chennai @ Vetri Software

- what are five things on my to do list for to day
Blogging and bugging others;)
Cooking
Eating
Evening work-outs
Prayers and sleeping .... he he

- places I have lived at
Chennai, Delhi, Pondicherry, Hyderabad, presently @ Singapore

- jobs I have had
Computer Operator
Data Conversion Technician
Customer Support Manager
Group Leader
Operations Manager
Technical Recruitment Manager
and at present HomeMaker;)

- what are five snacks I enjoy
Dont eat much snacks, if given a chance, I would like to eat crunchy bites from KFC;)

- what things would I do if I were a bilianaire
Will do lot of things, first, I will go on a tour to US, then start an orphanage and serve there till my life.


Rekha .... are you happy now.....;)

let me see whom I can pull........ hmmmm..... lot of names are there......

okay.............. ppppppppppppriti & RRRRRRRRRRRRRRamya..... carry on the tag;)

13 Comments:

notyet100 said...

was bloghoppin,,saw ur post,,,mornin,..healthy breakfast dish..and nice knowin more of u,..happy weekend and blogging,.:-)

Ramya Bala said...

Haha,yes indeed a fast breakfast-My brother use to make fun of me for posting pori,curd rice etc.,-But it is even useful for other country readers or outside or state...Thank u so much much for tagging..Will do it soon...

Unknown said...

yeees happy he he he good people you have tagged semiya easy to make happy to eat

Hetal said...

thats a lovely meme...oh you had so many jobs...

Prajusha said...

Nice to know more abt u..upma looks lovely and an easy breakfast

Illatharasi said...

@ Priyanka, thanks and wishing you too a gr8 weekend:)

@ Ramya, these borthers are like this only.... findign chance to make fun of us;)

@ Rekha, thanks, I too like semia upma

@ Hetal, thanks, yeah was working for more than 10 years.... recently resigned becos of my health reasons:)

@ Prajusha, thanks, its very simple and healthy bfast;) Do visit often:)

Indian Khana said...

hehe I knew it will come to me ...give me some time...I'll reply for that...infact I have one pending MeMe also to post !! And gud to knw few things abt u

Sunshinemom said...

Simple and easy - Good one! Hop over to my blog and please pick up this one:)

Srikitchen said...

semiya upma is looking great but i wont do it at home usually. 10 yrs of job experience.. ood vani.
appo nan unnai neenga vaanga ponga endru than solla vendumo..

Vani said...

like the idea of peas in vermicelli upma. enjoyed reading your meme too. Curious - what does illatharasi mean? It's got such a nice ring to it :)

Hetal said...

I have a treat for you in my blog,check it out..

Illatharasi said...

@ Priti, he he .... no probs, take ur time....

@ Sunshinemom, thank you so much:)

@ srilekha, thanks. You can call me as you are calling me now.... I got job while I was in college itself;)

@ Vani, thanks. I too use lot of veggies in upma, but this one is a quick one;) 'Illatharasi' means homemaker in tamil:)

@ Hetal, thank you so much:)

nasreen basu said...

awsome piece of information, I had come to know about your website from my friend vinod, indore,i have read atleast seven posts of yours by now, and let me tell you, your blog gives the best and the most interesting information. This is just the kind of information that i had been looking for, i'm already your rss reader now and i would regularly watch out for the new posts, once again hats off to you! Thanks a ton once again, Regards, Semiya upma