Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Meen Kozhambhu (Fish Curry)

Meen Kozhambhu (Fish curry) is a traditional dish of Tamilnadu cuisine. There are different methods of preparing it, below one is the simplest one. This curry would be tasty if it is prepared and served after few hours. You can make this with any kind of fish, I used white snapper, since it is fleshy and doesn't have much scales. More oil is used for this, which will make it tasty as well as a preservative for this.


Ingredients:
White Snapper fish(Kondal in tamil) - 8 pieces (cut into small cubes)
Tamarind - small lemon sized
Onions - 2, finely chopped, medium sized
Tomatoes - 2, finely chopped, medium sized
Chilli powder - 1-2 tablespoons(adjust as spicy required)
Coriander powder - 1/2 tablespoon
Cumin seed powder - 1 teaspoon
Ginger paste - 1/2 tablespoon
Garlic paste - 1/2 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 2 teaspoons
Asofoetida powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Fenu greek - 1 teaspoon
Red or Green chillies - 2
Coriander leaves - few, chopped
Salt to taste
Oil - 2-3 tablespoons

Method:
Soak Tamarind in 2 cups of warm water. Extract juice and keep aside.

Wash fish thoroughly, add 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder, keep it for 10 minutes and wash again once. Marinate with little(teaspoon) chilli powder & coriander powder and keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan. Once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow it to splitter.

Then add fenugreek, chillies, curry leaves, onions, asofoetida powder and fry well until onions are pale.

Add ginger paste, garlic paste and fry until raw smell goes off.

Then add chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, cumin seed powder and mix well. Cook it until oil separates out, and keep stirring in between. You can smell nice aroma from the gravy.

Once the gravy is thick, add tamarind extract, chopped coriander leaves and salt, mix well and cook it for 5 minutes. It the gravy is too thick, then add little water.

Reduce the flame, add fish pieces to it and cook it closed with a lid. Once fish is cooked and it starts boiling, we can put off the flame.

Serve hot with rice.


Note:
Vegetables like brinjal(egg plant), Ladies finger(Okra), Drumstick can also be added to this after tomatoes.


Cooking time : 45 minutes
Serves - 4 persons
-----------------------------------------

Few Awards:
Sowmya passed me 'Award of friendship'. I feel honoured!!!! Thank you Sowmi!!!

And the other day, Hetal had passed me 'You Make my Day' award too. I missed to update, thanks Hetal:)

17 Comments:

Srikitchen said...

mouth watering vani... excellent recipe pa. my mom prepare in the same way but i don't know to buy fish. so i have it when i visit my home.

notyet100 said...

looks delicious nd spicy..finallysaw ur post was waitin since mornin,..is white snapper needed or can use ny fish for this dish ,..wht bout pomfret....yeterday prep rasmalai frm ur post..it was delicious...thnks again for the recipe...

Indian Khana said...

Mouth watering meen kozhambhu....I make kozhambhu same way using vegetables...

kamala said...

Looks mouthwatering Vani...I make in a different way..Fish curry is my daughter's fav.

ranji said...

yummy fish curry...my mouth is simply watering thinking abt it :)...love fish anytime..

FH said...

Gravy looks yum Vani. We don't eat fish much although I am not vegetarian but would love to try the gravy with veggies!:))

Unknown said...

appa..i am drooling here.Here i have a comfort zone with 3 or 4 fishes.Never gone out of it.Will try snapper soon.

Ramya Bala said...

Mouthwatering dear...I don't know the differences between fishes,as we don't buy fish much at my moms place(may be,once in a year).But,I love to eat :)...Haven't tried snapper yet..Will try ur recipe with snapper

MJS said...

உங்களோட மீன் குழம்பு நான் செய்யும் குழம்பை விட வித்தியாசமான முறையில் இருந்தாலும் உங்களோட குழம்பு மிகவும் ருசியாக இருக்கும்.( நான் உங்கள் குழம்பை ருசி பார்த்தவள் என்ற முறையில் சொல்கிறேன்.)

Sujatha said...

Yummy Meen Kozhambu, Vani! And I love the color! I've never tried snapper, yet.. Looks delicious..

Cham said...

Addada Meen kuzhambu!Little different than mine, just perfect for rice :)Superb!

Thistlemoon said...

Oh how yummy and spicy! Looks great!

Illatharasi said...

@ Srilekha, thanks:) Even I dont know how to buy earlier, my hubby used to do it. Then my friend, Jil Jil took me and showed all kinds of fishes in the market, She only introduced me to snapper;)

@ Priyanka, thanks for waiting;) You can use any fish. Good to know that rasamalai came out well... post the pictures;)

@ Priti, thanks. I love kozhambhu than sambhar;) with veggies also it tastes gud.

@ Kamala, thanks. let me know how you prepare...

@ Ranji, thanks, its my favourite too. do visit often:)

@ Asha, thanks. Yeah try with veggies, it will be very tasty, especially drumstick;)

@ Maheswari, thanks. Even I am also fixed with 4 or 5;) Snapper I tried after I came to Singapore only;)

@ Ramya, thanks. For me too... cant find any difference;) Because of my friend, Jil Jil, I knew something about fishes ;)

@ Jil Jil, Nanri. Enna irunthalum, unga alavukku mudiyuma ;) intha meen patri therinthu kondathe ungalathan:)

@ Sujatha, thanks. Try snapper, its more fleshy and easy to clean too;)

@ Cham, thanks. yeah perfect for rice and idli.....;)

@ Jenn, thanks... try this;)

Prajusha said...

gravy looks yummy and spicy..

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Prajusha:) Do visit often!

தமிழினி..... said...

ssssssssss........super....paartha udane pasi theerndhu pochu.......!!!
Keep the gud job going.....And congrats for the AWARD!!!

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Vidya, paartha vudane pasikum enakku, ungalukku adangi pocha;)