Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Sunday, July 13, 2008

Bottlegourd (Peeled Skin) Chutney



This was very tasty like coriander chutney. My hubby didn't find it until I told him ;) Try this:)


Ingredients:
Bottlegourd's peeled skin - 1 cup
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Tamarind - 2 pinches
Green chillies - 2, medium sized
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 teaspoon

For tempering:
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Black gram (Urad Dal / Uzhunthu) - 1/2 tablespoon
Curry leaves - few

Method:



Wash bottlegourd and peel its skin and keep aside.

Heat pan, and add oil. Once it is hot, add the peeled skin and fry until it turns slight brownish.

Switch off the flame and allow it to cool.

Once it is cool, grind it with coconut, chillies, tamarind and salt to a fine paste.


Tempering:
Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds once it is hot. Once it splitters, add urad dal and curry leaves.

Fry them until dal turns golden brown. Add it to the chutney and mix well.

Serve with rice or chappathi or dosa.


Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves - 3 persons



I am sending this entry for VOW - Bottlegourd hosted by Pooja.

11 Comments:

notyet100 said...

LOOKS DELICIIOUS,..CHUTNEY FROM LAUKI,,,NEVER HEARD OF,.NICE ONE..

Ramya Bala said...

Wow very good entry dear...Should go on well with idlies n dosas..

Sunshinemom said...

Thanks, Vani! That really looks yum - and I am definitely making this when I bring bottlegourd next! I have heard of something similar with ridgegourd peel too!

Srikitchen said...

looks similar to coconut chutney

Anonymous said...

Looks great, thanks! Great way to use bottlegourd.

Indian Khana said...

We make the same way too..I just love this chutney....I can just eat rice and this chutney happily...

Pooja said...

this is really nice use of BF peels, which otherwise we just throw away .
thank you for sending this along too Vani :) .

Unknown said...

wow vani great I use to make with rigde gourd skin now Ican try this also thanks for sharing such a nice recipe

Unknown said...

nice one..good use of the peels..great entry...

Cooking Station said...

I have heard a lot about this chutney. Now after seeing so many bottlegourd recipes, I am going to buy one. I normally make halwa out of this.

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Priyanka, its very tasty, try it:)

Thanks Ramya, yeah it was nice with dosa;)

Thanks Harini, its very tasty, try it. I used to ridgegourd peel chutney too and fried urad dal to it while grinding.

Thanks Sri, but more tastier than it;)

Thanks Jackie for your comments and stopping by my blog:)

Thanks Priti, yeah it will be gud with rice too:)

Thanks Pooja.

Thanks Rekha, I too make ridge gourd chutney:)

Thanks Sowmi:)

Thanks LG, have you posted your halwa recipe?... do send me:)