Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Friday, July 18, 2008

Vermicelli Payasam (Kheer/Pudding) (Microwave cooking)



The word "Payasam" was termed from sanskrit word, "Peeyusham" which also means "Amrutham" or "Nectar". It is a traditional food of South Indians. It is prepared on all special occasions like festivals, marriages, birthdays, etc. Some people give this to kids as their first food.

I dont like sweets, but yesterday, I was craving for it. No chocolates was at home... so did this and quenched my 'sweet thirst' ;)

Since I wanted to have it quickly, I tried this in microwave, it came out well, except I have put more sugar. So I will give you the correct measurements.



Ingredients:
Vermicelli(Semia) roasted - 1 cup
Milk - 4-5 cups (as liquid required)
Sugar - 4-5 tablespoons
Cardamom fine powder - 1 teaspoon
Cashews / Pista / Badam - few, for seasoning
Raisins - few, for seasoning
Ghee - 1 tablespoon (optional)

Method:
If you do not have roasted vermicelli, roast the plain one in little ghee and keep aside.

Roast cashews, raisins in ghee and keep aside. I used plain ones, it was good.

Add roasted vermicelli, milk, sugar, cardamom powder, cashews, raisins to a microwave container.

Mix well and heat it for 2 minutes. Remove, stir well and cook for 10-12 minutes. Stir well to avoid vermicelli lumps, every 2 minutes .

Increase the cooking time if you find it watery or add more milk / water if it is too thick.

Once it is done, have it hot/cold .... you will feel the heaven ;)


Cooking time : 20 minutes
serves 3-4 persons



I am sending this entry and below mentioned previous entries to Sweet Series - cool desserts hosted by Mythreyee.


My previous posts:

Hibiscus Milk : Click for recipe



Mango Milkshake : Click for recipe



Phirni : Click for recipe


Have a nice weekend Friends !!!

17 Comments:

notyet100 said...

this looks delicious,..we used to get payasam,,every sunday with dinner in our hostel,..sunday was payasamday forus,..microwave version is new forme....thnks for sharin,..

Indian Khana said...

Payasam looks yummy Vani, now I know why you were drolling y'day

Srikitchen said...

kalakureenga... mouth watering..... which sweet to try? which sweet to eat?

Cham said...

Microw is cooking is quiet easier, i too make it :) Lovely payasam!

Lakshmi said...

peeyusham looks so good...nice entry

Deepthi Shankar said...

this kheer is my fav .. what a yummy simple dish .. love it when served chilled .. pic looks good

Shreya said...

this payasam is something i make always.. but have never tried in a microwave (i don't own one, my and my husband are kind of anti-MW types)... but this looks totally yum!

Unknown said...

your payasam looks so delicious..yesterday priyanka'a rabdi and today this payasam..have to make it today yaar...am craving for it now...

Unknown said...

vani just check for the twist recipe inthe same post that time I was talking to my brother and got some gape in the post and by mistake I postade 2 same pic also he he he because brother's phone call mahima

EC said...

Love all payasams...long since i made semiya payasam

notyet100 said...

HI VANI..WAS OUT WHOLE DAY...JUST PUBLISHED MY TODAYS POST GNG TO CHK OUT UR FLOWERS NOW...:-)

ranji said...

I will never ever say no to this..vermicilli payasam always finds its way into my menu on any occasion :)..love to have these chilled..so cooling and refreshing...drooling just thinking abt it...delicious...

@the_whisk_affair said...

who can resist some yummy payasam!! great idea to doit in the microwave!

the other entries look delicious as well, esp the phirni!

Unknown said...

vani love that firni looks very yummy will try it morning I was about go out so I can not check it just I checked it was supperb

kamala said...

My hubbys fav one Vani...Looks simple and delicious..Love it

Illatharasi said...

Thanks friends for your encouraging comments!!!!

vinu shankar said...

Nice blog. Neat design. Good recipes. Keep it up!