Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Potato & baby shrimps(Chena kuni) Curry - Trip down memory lane!


Our memories behind shrimps:

I and my 2 younger brothers (NA & RA) were always fond of shrimps. Each time my mom cooks it, we have a fight, and “who will get more shrimps". My mother used to be very careful, so that each one of us gets equal share. Younger one, RA used to count his shrimps and ensures with us, if we got the same number. I and NA used to hide inside rice, if we get one or two extra, fearing that he will complain against this ;) to our mom.

My mom used to cook baby shrimps, every time she does, she tells us a story that, "millions of baby shrimps can turn a ship ‘upside-down’, it has got so much strength, so we should not leave even one". My brothers, NA and RA will start their fights, after eating it, I will be the judge (always ;)) to see who is stronger. When RA cannot take the beatings, he used to hide behind me saying that, NA had eaten more, that's why he has more strenghth. He went and fought with mom, that she has given more to NA;) Childhood days are too good, we had no worries, no sorrows, no pains, now .... NA is no more in this world, but still having his "unforgettable and everlasting memories".............



When I saw about ‘Memories event’ by Jeena, I wanted to write something about NA. I was late by a day, but Jeena wholeheartedly extended a day for me. Thank you so much Jeena!!!

When
Jil Jil made her Baby shrimps dish, she gave me, to taste it. It was amazing and my hubby too liked it and ... I started cooking baby shrimps. Will try her recipe too, once I buy drumstick leaves ;)

This recipe was my mom's, she used to cook like this:

Ingredients:
Potatoes - 3, medium sized
Baby shrimps (Chena kuni) - 1 cup, (Fresh or dry ones - I used dry ones)


Onions - 1, medium sized, chopped
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Green chillies - 2, cut into pieces
Curry leaves - few
Chilli powder - 3/4 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 2 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seed powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/s teaspoon
Coriander leaves - few, chopped
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tablespoons

Method:
Boil 2 cups of water. Switch off the flame and add little salt and 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder to it. Add baby shrimps and close it with a lid. Allow it like that for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, peel skin of potatoes, wash them and cut into small cubes.

After 30 minutes, wash baby shrimps nicely for 6-7 times, since it will have fine sand. Drain water and keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan, once it is hot, add mustard seeds and allow it to splitter. Add green chillies, curry leaves, onions and fry until onions are pale.

Add ginger garlic paste and fry until raw smell goes off. Add cubed potatoes to it with chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and cumin seeds powder. Mix them well and cook it closed for 5 minutes.

Then add baby shrimps and cook them for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are cooked nicely. (Usually when we close the lid, vapours will form water, that is sufficient for them to cook, if required, sprinkle very little)

Add salt to it and mix well. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or chappathi.


Cooking time - 30 minutes
Serves 3-4 persons.


------------------------

Shreya of Ammascooking tagged me .... I have already done this in my other blog, and wanted to highlight it again :)

Checkout my answers
here!

20 Comments:

Indian Khana said...

Hey shrimps and potato..nice combo..dish looks gud..

notyet100 said...

NICE POST FOR THE EVENT...SHRIMP WITH POTATO GOOD COMBO,..TC

Cham said...

My mom tell the same story "about ship" but no fight...I love senna kunni podi ,never get a chance to bring in US! Yummy potat and senna kunni,lucky girl :) Make me nostalgic!

Indian Khana said...

U wouldn't want to eat 1week old pani puries rite ;p

Indian Khana said...

Do I need to come for the meet or the pani puries? Pick one ..hehehe

MJS said...

entirely different from mine...will try yours soon

Unknown said...

nice recipe will try it my mother-in-low use to make this with brinjal and she makes a small bag of ths shrimps and drop it in boiling rasam

Srikitchen said...

yummy recipe vani.. havent taste ever chenna kuni....

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

i haven't tried out recipe with shrimps. picture looks yummy. Let me try it once.

Indranee Batabyal said...

Thanks Illatharasi! I love this food blog of yours as well...yummy recipes! I'm going to try out this shrimp one, looks fabulous!

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
nice blog and shrimp with potato...supera irruku...can i have a plate:)

Ivy said...

What a lovely story and recipe. My kids do exactly the same thing.

@the_whisk_affair said...

the shrimp-potato curry looks good...loved loved loved reading ur hilarious memories vani!! beautiful post!

ranji said...

love the shrimp and potato curry..makes me drool...enjoyed reading ur post :)..

Shreya said...

Amazing combo, and it looks so delicious. I really liked the recipe, and the flavours are exciting.

Sangeeth said...

nice combo...potatoes and shrimp...hmm already i can see drooling ppl out thr

Unknown said...

I haven't tried out recipe with shrimps. picture looks yummy. Let me try it once.yummy recipe vani.. havent taste ever chenna kuni....

Great Click and Fantastic entry..

Illatharasi said...

@ Thanks Priti & Priyanka:)

@ Thanks Cham, initially I dont know that it was available here;) My mom brought these dry ones, and once I discovered fresh ones are available here.... Singapore is surrounded by sea, so we can get plenty of seafood!

@ Thanks Jil Jil, will try your soon!

@ Thanks Rekha, shrimps in rasam.... hmmm... I can feel its flavour ;)

@ Thanks Sri, try soon and let me know!

@ Thanks Valar, try and let me know:)

@ Thanks Indra, do visit often:)

@ Thanks Priar, welcome to my blog:)

@ Thanks Ivy for the nice comments:)

@ Thanks JZ for those nice words:)

@ Thanks Ranji, Shreya, Sangeeth, Srikar for those encouraging comments :)

lilmizlynn said...

Looks yummy.. I love potato and shrimps. hmm.. I dun think I can get those baby shrimps here except if you go to Asian store (which there is none here in this small town) but I am sure to try out this recipe when I get back to Singapore. :)

mina said...

I made this last night, it was great! Thanks for the recipe.