Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Monday, July 7, 2008

Mango Rice


Mango is one of the world's popular fruit for its taste, juice, flavour, fragrance, etc. Its leaves are used as floral decorations for many ritual and religious celebrations in India. It is consumed in plain or in many ways, juices, icecreams, pickles, sauces, etc. Thinking of it itself, is mouth watering... ;)

One of my school mate, used to bring this for lunch frequently, and I got the recipe from her mother. I love this.... :)


Ingredients:
Raw Mango (Grated) - 1 cup
Cooked Rice - 4 cups
Onions - 2, medium sized, finely chopped
Green Chillies - 2, finely chopped
Garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Black gram (Urad Dal / Uzhunthu) - 1 tablespoon
Cumin seed powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - few
Coriander leaves - few, chopped
Salt to taste
Oil - 2-3 tablespoons


Method:
Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and allow it to splitter.

Then add urad dal, green chillies, curry leaves, onions and fry for 5 minutes.

Add garlic paste, turmeric powder, cumin seed powder and cook until onions turn golden brown.

Then add salt, grated mango to it and stir slowly for 5 minutes, so that all gets mixed well.

Add this mixture to cooked rice and mix well. Cook it for 5 minutes or in microwave for 2 minutes, so that the rice gets rich flavour.

Garnish with coriander leaves. Delicious mango rice is ready to serve hot with papad.

Note:
Reduce the mango quantity if it is too sour.


Cooking time : 20 minutes
Serves 2 persons.

27 Comments:

Ramya Bala said...

anaegama,ungaluku nethae stomach pain vandu irukanum,ithalaam too much...yummy recipe dear..y dont u send it to monthly mingle event-its mango this time

Ramya Bala said...

sry pa thats ripe mango event

Indian Khana said...

Yummy....when did u make this? 2mnths back ;p

Illatharasi said...

@ Ramya, unga per solli 2 vaai pottukitten, so didn't get stomachache.... he he he... eppadi en idea;)

Yeah, I saw it, got ripe mangoes seperately, for the event. Need to think what to do;)

@ Priti, he he ... gud question, ... a week ago;)

Vidhya said...

Hey I love mango rice, I make very often.

notyet100 said...

looks yummy,..i tried for the first time here...from lakshmis recipe...was thinking of u,..nd got ur comment,..hows it goin../?how was bloggin on weekend,..saw ur posts both the day quiet early..today howcom late...

Sujatha said...

Mangai Satham! I tasted this in my friend's house recently for the first time, and I absolutely loved it! I do have her recipe waiting to be tried, and your version looks very similar to hers.. I'm very tempted to try this recipe soon :)

Unknown said...

hmmm can I have this for my break fast from the pic hmmm if it is possible, yummy recipe vani

Illatharasi said...

@ Vidhya,.... I love this:) I am trying put comments in your blog:( its not letting me in from the morning.... will try the way you said shortly...:)

@ Thanks Priyanka, monday blues, felt lazy and busy chatting with parents... ;)

@ Sujatha, thanks. Yeah, its very tasty, try and publish soon:)

@ Rekha, I too have thought like this... if we can, nobody's blog will have the dishes ;)

Unknown said...

thanks for this recipe...i got raw mangoes yesterday..wil make it now..

Indian Khana said...

Ya I know it must be very new for lot of people, thts why I have blogged it..I'll post your tag too..give me some time pls. And number 8 was a very truthful answer :-)

Srikitchen said...

yummy vani.. the word mango itself is making my tongue tickling but i do not prepare this dish usually at my home.. should try it once when am in gud mood

notyet100 said...

monday blues,..hmm sounds good answer..enjoy hols vani cause we on break,.now..thats what i am doing,..till i start workin;-)

FH said...

YUM! Wish I could get raw mangoes here!:)

Thistlemoon said...

That sounds delicious! I would have never thought of it!

kamala said...

Looks Yumm Vani..I too love mangai sadam

Madhavi said...

WOW mango rice hummm, looks mouthwatering, very nice recipe!!!!

Medhaa said...

Never had this before, looks and sounds yummy

Deepthi Shankar said...

love mango ric ... yummy

notyet100 said...

where u nd ur post?/? :-)

Indian Khana said...

Done with the tag..check my blog

EC said...

My mom used to make this long back...rice looks tempting

Illatharasi said...

@ Sowmya, thanks. Try and let me know:)

@ Srilekha, you want gud mood to eat mango;)

@ Asha, you can use thai mangoes or any raw mango too, I did with thai ones and it came good.... only thing is you have to add more mango, since they wont be so tangy.

@ Jen, thanks. Try this, its very tasty.

@ Kamala, Madhavi, Medhaa, VegPlatter, Easycrafts - thanks for your valuable comments. Who will say NO to mango;)

Maggie said...

This sounds wonderful! I'm sure my son would love it too.

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Maggie, yes, its very tasty, try it:)

MJS said...

I forgot to tell you... yesterday I perpared Mango rice for my hubby's lunch box. It came out well & he liked it. Thanks for sharing.

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Jil Jil, if HUBBY's like, then its a big thing;)