Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Sunday, July 6, 2008

Pala Kottai (Jackfruit seeds) fry


Jackfruit is national fruit of Indonesia and Bangladesh. Its seed has cooling properties and rich in vitamins, dietary fiber, complex carbohydrate and minerals. Seed powder is used as a remedy for indigestion. We used to roast or steam and eat them in childhood, very tasty than potatoes;)


Ingredients:
Jackfruit seeds - 15
Chilli powder - 1 tablespoon
Coriander seed powder - 1/2 tablespoon
Cumin seed powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil - 2 tablespoon

Method:
Heat pan and add 2 cups of water. Cook seeds until they are soft (Press it slightly with a knife/fork, it should go easily in it).

Drain water and peel off the skin and cut into two. Keep aside and allow it cool.

Heat oil in pan, once it is hot, add the cooked seeds. Fry for 5 minutes.

Add chilli powder, coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, salt and fry until the raw smell goes off and thy turn golden brown.

Serve hot with rice.


Cooking time : 30 minutes
Serves 2 persons


--------------------------------

Hetal and Sunshinemom passed me 'Award of friendship'. Thank you so much:)
I love being their friend.

Really enjoy blogging nowadays, as I am getting lot of friends:)

19 Comments:

Srikitchen said...

i use to have this in my childhood days. u reminded me those days thru ur recipe

Indian Khana said...

We also use to eat boiled jack fruit seeds ..lovely taste...nice recipe

notyet100 said...

looks delicious new one for me,..where to buy jackfruit in singapore,..plannin toprepare jackfruit subji from along time..

Illatharasi said...

@ Srilekha, yeah, in my childhood also, we use roast them in mud stoves, very tasty:)
For icecreams, email me your address ;)

@ Thanks Priti:)

@ Priyanka, its available in sheong siong. I buy from them... or you can find in open fruit shops too.

Unknown said...

wow nice recipe vani..u r rocking nowadays..whats the secret????keep rocking always..all the best..

Sunshinemom said...

I love these in any form, and during the season I add them in almost everything, not to forget the roasted ones! Yum:) Congrats:)

MJS said...

//We used to roast or steam and eat them in childhood//

we use also do the same......

EC said...

My mom used to add these to sambhar...nice utilisation of seeds

Unknown said...

my mother-in-low use to cook this seeds with mutton as a kurma Inever tasted this seeds because I am a vege now I can make like this looks so yummy

kamala said...

Heard abt this..But I never made that.Looks delcious .

FH said...

My grandmother used to palya out of these tender seeds. Looks great girl!:)

Ramya Bala said...

dear,everyday u r tempting me..believe it or not I am seeing jackfruit in neighbourhood grocery for this past 1 month n am tempted to buy for the palakottai only:),but u know what 5 pieces for $8...:)Now,temme...ungaluku vaithu vali thaana varapoguthu????hehheee...Nice recipe dear

Cham said...

Nice curry... i love the roasted version!

Illatharasi said...

@ Sowmya, thanks, nothing special, I really enjoy blogging nowadays, since I am meeting lot of friends:)

@ Sunshinemom, thanks. Yeah my mother used to do sambhar, kurma too with these.

@ Jil Jil, thanks. welome to food blogging, your blog looks attractive now:)

@ Easycrafts, thanks, even my mother used to do it:)

@ Rekha, thanks. it really tastes good with mutton;). Try this for you, its really tasty.

@ Kamala, thanks.

@ Asha, thanks. I learnt one kannada word (palya);) Whatever the form, this tastes very well:)

@ Ramya, thanks. $8, its too costly yaar. But try once.... illati ennaku vayithu vali varum;)

@ Cham, thanks, roasted seeds are really tasted.

Prema Sundar said...

It been a long time since I ate boiled/roasted jack fruit seeds.. my aunt makes a kuzhambu with it. recipe looks yummm..

Sujatha said...

Jackfruit seeds roasted version sounds awesome! My mom makes a curry out of it, but roasted version it totally new.. Do you use fresh ones or frozen ones?

Unknown said...

Oh..i love this seeds.On my every visit,my family makes sure that they have enough jackfruit seeds to feed me !.I made aviyal with this a few monthes ago.I love to eat this just boiled with salt.Thanks ALOT for sharing this recipe.

Illatharasi said...

@ Prema, we too used to make kurma/curry and my mum cooks it with mutton, it would be tasty ;)

@ Sujatha, I too tasted curry with it :).... I used fresh ones.

@ Maheswari, thanks. Ellar veetuleyum, ponnu vantha pothumunnu nenaikiren;) alli kottiduvanga;)

Unknown said...

Hi. Tried this recipe with pressure cooking the seeds for 30 mins and made the cooking part quick. But, peeling them is a time consuming job. Also, added xtra oil by mistake. But, the fry came out too gud. This s the best recipe for jackfruit seeds. Just can't stop having them. Thanks for posting this recipe.

Also, a suggestion from my side. If you can add a Facebook link below, I think Ur recipe will reach more places.