Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Thursday, August 21, 2008

Broccoli Rice (Microwave Cooking)


Best way to eat Broccoli for me ;) somehow I dont like it as florets. I follow the same way as I cooked Coconut milk rice previously. I have given below the recipe of it, with Broccoli.


Ingredients:
Long Grain Rice (Basmathi Rice) - 1 cup
Onions - 2, cut into thin slices
Broccoli - 1 cup (cut into florets, soak in hot water for 10 minutes and drain water)
Garlic - 8 cloves
Green Chillies - 5, cut into 2
Fennel seeds - 1 teaspoon
Cloves - 2
Cardamom - 1
Bay leaf - 1, small piece
Cinnamom Stick - 1 inch stick
Coconut Milk - 3 cups (Extract from 1 cup of grated coconut)
Coriander leaves - few
Saffron - little, soaked in 1-2 tablespoons of warm milk
Salt to taste
Oil/Ghee - 1 tablespoon


Method:
Take a microwave vessel, add oil/ghee, fennel seeds, cloves, cardamom, bay leaf, cinnamom and heat for 20 seconds.

Remove pan, add onions, greenchillies, garlic, mix well and cook for 1 minute.

Then add broccoli, mix well and sprinkle little water and cook for 1 minute.

Wash rice and drain water. Add to the microwave pan with coconut milk and salt to taste.

Cook for 20 minutes. Once it is completely cooked, mix well, add saffron milk to one portion of rice and cook for 1 minute.

Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.


Note:
1) Cooking time differs from microwave to microwave, so follow timings and temperature accordingly for cooking rice.
2) Extract 3 cups of coconut milk from 1 cup of grated coconut. For best extract, use warm water, while blending.


Cooking time - 30 minutes
Serves 2-3 persons

18 Comments:

ILA (a) இளா said...

Broccoli is the one I hate in the world.

Shobana senthilkumar said...

Hi,
broccoli rice ...hmmm looks good thanks for sharing

Ivy said...

This sounds great. Never thought of coconut milk with rice.

Madhavi said...

Very nice recipe dear, will try soon!!!

Sum Raj said...

microwave cooking is superfast...ur broccoli rice is ready in no min...thanks for sharing dear... i luved it cooking with coconut milk which really gives a nice flavour.

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Nice one...instead of Cauliflower

Ramya Bala said...

Thats sounds to be a better way to swallow brocolli :)

kamala said...

Really tempting Vani..Nice way to make the kids eat brocolli

Suganya said...

This sounds so healthy. Looks good. Will try it soon..

Anonymous said...

I love broccoli, I can have it as raw in salads, steamed.. however. But I don't cook at home though.. I only have it at restaurants..

Btw, I am hosting an event called Sunday snacks.. can you post something for that event please..

Unknown said...

nice one..and healthy too!!

Sujatha said...

Broccoli with rice sounds healthy! A new recipe to me..

Lakshmi said...

Rice looks good and broccoli added gives an extra nutritional punch.
I love broccoli soup..you must try it to know it. It tastes good..

notyet100 said...

looks nice,.never tried with rice though...

Srikitchen said...

an award for u in my blog! veetuku vandavangaley oru vali panringey poliruku! kalakunga!

Deepthi Shankar said...

i loved this rice .. a new recipe for me ... looks lovely

FewMinute Wonders said...

Will make it for my daughter who loves rice and broccoli.

Medhaa said...

I dont Like brocolli but this will be a nice way to add it to my diet