Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Aval (Flat Rice flakes) Upma & Awards

Flat rice flakes are easily digestible, carbohydrate content is too less when compared to normal rice. It is a good remedy for dysentry if taken with curd. It can be taken as snack with milk and sugar or fry in little oil, and add nuts & raisins.

Ingredients:
Aval(Flat Rice flakes/Poha/Atukulu) - 1 cup
Onions - 1, medium sized, finely chopped
Green chillies - 2, cut into 2 halves
Curry leaves - few
Ginger paste - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Urad dal - 3 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Hot water - 2 cups
Groundnuts - 1 tablespoon (fried) (optional)
Coriander leaves - few, chopped (optional)

Method:
Add flat rice flakes to a sieve. Pour hot water to it so that all the flakes get wet. Leave it aside for 10-15 minutes. Flakes will puff up and become soft.

Heat oil in a pan. Once it is hot add mustard seeds and allow it to splitter. Add urad dal, cumin seeds, curry leaves, green chillies, chopped onions, ginger paste, one after another and fry until onions turn golden brown.

Add puffed rice flakes, salt to it and mix well gently. Cook for 10 minutes at a low flame, stirring it gently.

Garnish with coriander leaves and fried groundnuts and serve hot.

Very tasty and nutritious recipe.

Cooking time - 20-30 minutes
Serves 2 persons

------------------------------------------------

Today, is also 'Awards' day for me:-) I was creating this post and I received a comment from Rekha to check her blog. I got 'Rocking girl blogger' award:) In the morning, when I was checking my emails, I got comments from Srilekha and Ramya and they both have given me the same award.

Thank you so much Ramya, Sri and Rekha for your thoughtfulness:-)

Yesterday, Ramya gave me "Yummy blog Award". I got this for second time.

Thank you so much Ramya:-)

And I forgot to mention that last week, Thamizni and Sathya reciprocated me with 'Good Chat Blog Award'. Thank you so much:-)

Now its my turn to make others HAPPY, so passing on 'Rocking Girl Blogger' award to

Valarmathi of http://valar-myblog.blogspot.com/
Maggie of http://doghillkitchen.blogspot.com/


and 'Yummy Blog Award' to
Bobby of http://blogchef.net/

Congrats everyone!!!! Celebrate your day!!!!

31 Comments:

notyet100 said...

congrats for the awards,..upma looks very healthy...will sure mke this//

Haripriya Reddy said...

Hey...Thanks so much dear!!!

Congrats for the awards!!

Uma said...

upma looks so delicious. I make the same upma sometimes, yours look more delicious. congrats on the awards.

Thistlemoon said...

Congrats on the awards!
Well deserved! :)

Madhavi said...

Upma looks delicious !!!! Congratulations on ur awars :)))

@the_whisk_affair said...

aval upma looks fresh and tasty! congrats on all ur awards...

Trupti said...

Upma looks delicious, Illa. Congrats on your awards. Enjoy these.

Sum Raj said...

i too make this upma occasionly....congarets on ur awards..

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Priyanka, try this, its very tasty.

Thanks Priya, Congrats to you too!

Thanks Uma:) Do visit often.

Thanks Jen:)

Thanks Madhavi:)

Thanks JZ:)

Thanks Trupti, do visit often:)

Thanks Suma:)

Sujatha said...

My first time here! You have a good collection of recipes here! Your aval upma looks gorgeous..

Kalai said...

Looks delicious!! Congrats on the awards! Enjoy! :)

Illatharasi said...

Welcome Kalai and thanks for the compliments :)

Unknown said...

congrats on your awards..aval upma looks simple and nice..

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Sowmya:)

Vidhya said...

Congratulations for your awards illatharasi, as you said , it happens sometimes in my comments box. I dont why. My neice gave me the idea of putting chatter box also. thats why i have chatter box

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Vidhya.

Okay, if I am unable to insert comments, I use chatterbox next time :)

Valarmathi Sanjeev said...

Thank u vani for giving me the "Rocking Girl Blogger" award. Very happy to have award from my first blogger friend.

Maggie said...

Thanks for the award!

I've never seen rice flakes like that but they sound really interesting. This calls for a special trip to the Indian grocery.

Cooking Station said...

you know what?..my next post is aval upma too...glad to see it here 2. But my way of making is totally different. Congratulations to all of you on those awards.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on ur awards! and tht upma looks delicious :)

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Sujatha, do visit often:)

Illatharasi said...

@ Valar, Keep it up!!

@ Maggie, yeah, you can try once, its very healthy and tasty too:)

@ Sowmya, Thanks Sowmya, post it soon, so I can try in a different way :)

@ Thanks Skribles, do visit often:)

Ramya Bala said...

Dear Vani
Upma looks yummy,I love the white color...Ur recipe slightly differs from the way I prepare.I anyways prepare once in a week,next time will try ur way..

Anonymous said...

Looks very yummy. You have a very nice blog. I like your blog name.

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Ramya, try this way and let me know how it was.

Illatharasi said...

Welcome Shriya! It means 'HomeMaker' in tamil. Thanks for your comments, do visit often:)

Indian Khana said...

Visit my blog..something for U awaiting

ST said...

congrats on your awards..aval upma looks inviting......

FH said...

It's raining Aval Upma everywhare these days and I love every one of them!:))

Enjoy the award!:)

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Sireesha and Asha, Do visit often:)

Illatharasi said...

Thank so much priti:)