Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Monday, June 9, 2008

Arachi Vitta(Iyer) Sambhar (Lentil curry)


Usually this sambhar is cooked by Brahmin's of Tamilnadu, so we call it as 'Iyer Sambhar'. I got this recipe from one of my Brahmin friend in Hyderabad, India.

Ingredients:
Lentils (Toor Dal/Tuvaram paruppu) - 1 cup
Vegetables (any - Drumstick/Plaintain/Flat beans) - 1 cup
Small Onions (Madras Sambhar Onions) - 1 cup, skin peeled and washed
Asafoetida powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - few
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies - 2
Tamarind - small lemon sized
Coriander leaves - few
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste

For paste:
Red chillies - 3
Coriander seeds - 1 Tablespoon
Black gram (Urad dal/Uzhunthu) - 1/2 Tablespoon
Split chickpeas (Channa Dal/Kadalai paruppu)- 1/2 Tablespoon
Raw rice - 1 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Grated coconut - 3/4 cup
Oil - 1/2 teaspoon

Method:
Roast all the paste ingredients in oil, except coconut. Grind the roasted ingredients and coconut to a fine paste. Add very little water if needed.

Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water for 15 minutes. Extract the juice and keep aside.

Pressure cook lentils, smash it ad keep aside. In a big pan, add all vegetables, small onions, 1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida powder, smashed lentils, 1 cup of water. Bring it to a boil, until all vegetables are cooked.

Add tamarind extract, grinded paste, salt to taste to it. Allow it to boil, but keep stirring.

Meanwhile, in a small pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil, Splitter mustard seeds in it, add red chillies, curry leaves, 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida powder and fry for a minute. Transfer it to the boiling curry and mix well.

Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice.


Cooking time : 45-60 minutes
Serves - 3-4 persons

12 Comments:

Unknown said...

you have a interesting blog with lovely recipes....arachavita sambar is a favourite at my home..yours looks delicious..thanks for visiting my blog and yoour good comments.

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Sowmya for the visit and comments :)

Colors of India said...

hey..this something which I make atleast twice or thrice a week. Love it Vani..

தமிழினி..... said...

Illatharasi...You are doing a great job yaar...especially for those who are away from home like me will have a great satisfaction just by seeing your Recipes....Gr8 blog...have given a link for your blog from My blog....CHEERS!!!Keep the gud job going!!!

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Lakshmi. I too love this. I do normal sambhar regularly, this one once in two weeks only.

Illatharasi said...

Thanks for the very kind words Tamizhni:)

It gives more encouragement for continuing my work in a better way.... Thanks for adding me:)

Do visit often.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vani ... u have a really nice blog! ... First time here ... Great to know you from GCC ...
Arachu vitta sambar is a fave with me as well ...

Anonymous said...

I have a suprise for you on my blog at http://foodwithapinchoflove.wordpress.com/2008/06/10/my-first-meme/

Illatharasi said...

Thank you Skribles!!!
I will post my meme shortly, this is my second time ;)

shakthi said...

arachivitta sambar is really super, i got great appreciation in my in law's home......

Hyma said...

hey...first time in your site. nice arachu vitta sambar recipe. i too hv one in my blog. do visit and join me...am new to blogging and would be glad if you join me and encourage me too...happy to join your space..!

Sujaa Sriram said...

Nice recipe and very impressive presentation.

Do visit and follow my blog and post your valuable comments.

Food Blog: http://preethisculinary.blogspot.com
Art Blog:
http://yenkaivannam.blogspot.com