Feel free to pass your comments, feedback, advices or recipe requests / suggestions through comments of this blog or email to illatharasi@gmail.com. All your suggestions are welcome!!!



Sunday, July 20, 2008

KingFish(Batang/Vanjaram) fish fry


Note: After a long search in various websites.... I am changing the fish name... Thank you friends for letting me know:)

KingFish (vanjaram/batang) fish is a expensive fish and is a delicacy of south indian cuisine. Its fat content ranges from 3-30% and a good source of vitamin D and B12.


Ingredients:
Vanjaram steaks/slices - 2
Chilli powder - 1-2 tablespoon (as spicy required)
Coriander powder - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seed powder - 1 teaspoon
Ginger, garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Turmeric powder - 1 teaspoon
Lemon juice - 1/2 tablespoon
Salt to taste
Oil - 2-3 tablespoons

Method:
Wash fish and marinate with turmeric powder and salt for few minutes.

Mix all other ingredients and prepare a thick paste with little water.

Wash the fish once, drain all water and marinate in the above paste for 1-2 hours.

In a flat pan, add oil and shallow fry the fish on both sides, for about 5-10 minutes.

Delicious fish fry is ready to serve.

Note:
This is good recipe for BBQ .... can grill it too.


Cooking time : 15 minutes
Serves 2 persons

17 Comments:

MJS said...

looks so yummyyyyyyyyyyyyy......

Anonymous said...

My Mother-in-law use to make the same version of vanjaram fry except she added tamarind juice instead of lemon juice. Love the pic and the recipe is good too.

notyet100 said...

this looks so delicious,.easy too...

Unknown said...

first time came to know that mackerel and vanjaram is same now I am going to make that for my hubby

Anonymous said...

The picture with your recipe does not look like mackerel. It looks more like kingfish. Could you please confirm.
Thankks anyway for an exciting recipe
Neville
Toronto

Shreya said...

Hi, fish fry looks awesome! Though I do have a feeling that you have the name wrong. Mackerel is Aila in Malayalam. The fish pictures show it to be more like King Fish, and King Fish is Vanjaram. Anyway, I could be wrong too. I have never used coriander power in fish fry, I do use lemon, and love the taste:-)

Illatharasi said...

Hi Neville, thanks for your comments and stopping by my blog:)

I guess Kingfish is the largest of the mackerel family. Check out more information @ http://www.rarin-t-go.com/taxidermy.htm and Wikipedia. Thanks again :)

Illatharasi said...

Thanks Jil Jil, Shriya, Priyanka & Rekha for passing nice comments :)

Illatharasi said...

Hi Shreya, thanks for the comments :) .... just replied to Neville about this... check it out!

Cham said...

I can tell, it is King Fish not mackerel...Mackerel is totally different in taste , but looks like Vanjaram..
Mackerel in tamil "Kana Kajuthai" much cheaper ... as i am from seashore, i can make out easily!
But the fry looks yummy!

Indian Khana said...

Hey nice fish recipe...looks gud..

Ramya Bala said...

Vani,
Looks so delicious,and I think its King fish(Vanjaram),because I know only very few fish types and luv king fish...anyways it doesnt matter,the fish looks so yummy and hope u enjoyed having it alone with my SF(stomach fire) :)

Ivy said...

Your fish looks so yummy. From the day I have found the Inidan spices I have been experimenting and last week I grilled some salmon steaks with most of these ingredients and it was wonderful. Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. Shall reciprocate.

Srikitchen said...

fish is one of my fav dish.. so cute pics...

ranji said...

oh i love love love this fish...i dont get this here..u r soooooooo lucky...king fish is my fav and when fried its the best :)..yummmm..

Maggie said...

This looks so good. I'm not sure I've seen kingfish but will definately try the spice mixture.

Jay said...

Well, i am going to chip in too. Vanjaram is King fish or at least that is the name they sell this fish in Korean markets in the east coast. If you live in Northern Virginia, you can find them in Grand Mart or H-Mart. At first i thought that it may be a sub species of the Vanjaram we get in India but i was pleasantly surprised. It is exactly the same. Taste, texture and smell wise and cheap too. i buy them for 5.99/lb in Grand Mart that is almost the same price as they are sold in India. Last Nov 2010 when i was visiting India, they were selling for Rs 400/kilo.